Sunday, April 26, 2009

is it really easier?


One of my favorite things to do while i'm grocery shopping is to check out what other people are stocking their cubbards with (is that weird?) Today i found myself getting angry. I seem to notice lately that families with kids in tow have their carts loaded with JUNK!  I just want to walk up to them and ask why? Do they think their children are immune to the damage that poptarts and cases of soda cause to the human body. Don't they want healthy kids that rarely get sick, miss school, have cavities, or how about childhood obesity? Won't happen to their kids i guess but what dice to roll!  How about teaching children how to eat healthy so as they grow, they develop healthy habits and they don't become a statistic later in life? What a crazy idea uh?  I know it must be hard to take care of children when you work  a full time job, especially now that full time jobs are 50 hour weeks. Hmmm?, so its quicker to give children a bowl of  Lucky Charms instead of Cherreos? I guess it does take a little longer to make a turkey sandwich then putting a frozen pizza in the oven... wait that doesn't take any "longer", it does take a little more work to put the sandwich together, but if you really think about it you could have the sandwich made and on the table before the pizza comes out of the oven.  I can't think of any good reason to let children drink soda. Soda cost more then water and come on!, you  don't have time to pour a glass of milk? An ice cold glass of lemonade is more refreshing on a hot day. OH!! kids don't like to eat the healthy foods... what? That has to be one of the craziest things i've heard!!  Don't we teach the child or is there a certain age where they just don't like chicken and vegetables any more? I keep thinking that people are just lazy. Teach your children, lead by example, and get them involved in making healthy foods and finding the healthy foods in the grocery store.  Make some home made oatmeal cookies, i'm pretty sure your kids will like them.
 If you know your weeks are jammed packed with busy-ness prepare for the week in advance.
 Think about your kids and do it for them, so they can feel good and be healthy!

3 comments:

  1. I just watched "Super-Size Me" and am making my kids watch it with me again. It changed the way I think of fast food. It's poisen!!

    I totally agree with your post. Our kids were big soda drinkers,(4-5 cans a day) and about 3 years ago I changed that. I started buying only milk and unsweetened orange juice. For 2 weeks they complained, but now they love it and rarely drink soda. We're now eating from Tosca Reno's "Eat Clean Recipe Book.! It CAN be done. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you too... I have 2 boys, ages 9 and 6... they will eat what you give them. Mine eat everything from scallops and shrimp to Indian food. I can't fall back on fast food often, because my little one is allergic to gluten (celiac), but it can be done. Planning ahead has worked well for us. Of course there is an occasional slip, but the feedback from my kids is very interesting. One night before my older son's 3-hour gymnastics practice I ran out of time and got him food from Wendy's for dinner. The next time I suggested that as an option when we were short of time he asked if I could just make him a sandwich because the food from Wendy's made him feel sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely! I don't want my kids to have the food issues and addictions that I have!

    ReplyDelete